Mel has been part of the Waiheke Dental Team since 1999. She originally was Dr Stevens’s dental surgery assistant and Practice Manager. Because of her love for dentistry Mel continued her education and graduated from AUT in 2011 with a Degree in Oral Health.
Melanie is a Dental Hygienist and Oral Therapist. Due to her high standard of work Melanie achieved during her studies she was awarded:
- The Annette King Trophy for best academic achievement Years 1-3.
- The Colgate Oral Care Achievement Prize for highest average mark in Year 3.
- Best Restorative Skills Award in Oral Therapy.
- The Golden Scaler Award for highest standard of excellence in dental hygiene skills.
In Melanie’s final year of University she was also chosen to travel to Cambodia for children’s and adults dental treatments. Melanie enjoys working, treating and educating all ages for long term oral health care.
Her philosophy is Healthy Mouth = Healthy Body. She has a special interest in adolescent oral health and offers free teenage exams and treatments.
She is sensitive to patients needs and works together with them to create desirable and successful individual oral health outcomes. She uses state of the art equipment with pain free solutions.
Mel regularly keeps up her professional affiliations and is a member of ;
- The New Zealand Dental Hygienists Association (NZDHA)
- The New Zealand Dental and Oral Health Therapists Association (NZDOHTA)
- The New Zealand Institute of Minimal Intervention Dentistry (NZIMID)